Thursday, July 28, 2005

Beer and Pizza

Beer and pizza are two things I've most bemoaned the loss of when I switched to a gluten-free diet. I can make my own pizza, and I know a specialty shop in Laval (north of Montreal) that makes a good gluten-free pizza, but so far eating out has been out of the question. But hark and behold! The ottawa celiac association has made additions to its restaurant list, worthwhile additions, featuring gluten-free pizza!

http://www.celiac.ottawa.on.ca/restaurants.htm

La Dolce Vita (180 Preston Street 233-6239) is first on my list of places to try. I've been there a number of times before with friends, condemned to having a salad while my friends would invevitably have number of mouth-watering-looking pizzas. No longer! I shall go and try them as soon as I can.

For beer, there is only one product in existence that I know of: a buckwheat and rice beer that is certified (or at least marketed as) gluten-free, La Messagere, from a brewery near Trois-Rivieres, Les Bieres de la Nouvelle-France:

http://www.lesbieresnouvellefrance.com/

There were a number of places selling it in Hull (La Boite a Grains being one) but now I noticed that the LCBO carries it. It is on-shelf only at the big store on Rideau and King Edward, but my local store told me they can order one or two cases if I ask for it. They won't stock it, though.

LCBO search

Addendum Aug. 10th - Nothing very relevant to add, but found a web page about statements from Budweiser about Bud light being gluten-free. Apparently the claim wouldn't be of much use to celiacs.

9 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

So I did go for pizza last weekend. It was good! Ranks with the best GF pizzas I've had. Apparently La Dolce Vita intend to offer gluten-free pasta as well. I've mentioned the gluten free beer to them, I hope they will carry it.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Went back a second time and got the "La Dolce Vita Special" (lots of meat). Feeling bloated and tired now. I'm going to give them a good grilling about their gluten-free methods. I'll let you know here.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Went a third time for pizza and I am happy to report everything went well this time. I had a chat with them about my past troubles. They showed me the mix they were using (not that I was really concerned with that part). I recognised it as one from an enterprise that sells various mixes for cakes, brownies and whatevers to the natural food stores. Miss something-or-other's gluten free mixes. Anyway, the manager (?) went to the kitchen and made sure the prep space was clean before they made the GF pizza. I had the "francesca" and did not feel bloated like I did on previous occasions. So, success!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Taking delivery pizza off of my menu really irked me until last weekend when one of my friends ordered from Pizza Pizza...who have a gluten free crust option! My partner ordered for me and when he asked for pepperoni they instructed him that I could not have their usual pepperoni but to have the New York Style option as it is safe for anti-gluten folks. It's not too bad at all..and they deliver within 40 minutes!

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strongbow. It's an apple cider. Available at any LCBO. Available on tap sometimes - at Irish type pubs in particular. It is gluten free. My husband drank it now and then before he was diagnosed, and drinks it regularly now that he has been with no problems. Happy beer (sort of) drinking!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Buttsaver said...

I like KinniKinnick pizza crusts. Its an Edmonton based company. No pizza restaurant in Saskatoon makes gluten-free pizzas. Happy to hear that you are able to get it in Ottawa.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Julger said...

Just to add to your beer count, there is another beer available!! It is called the New Grist. I think it's better than the La Messagere.

I had it at the newest Gluten free restaurant here in town called La Caprese (which has amazing food AND service!!)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Jan Pittner said...

Best GF pizza I've had is from Bella Vista Tavern on AltaVista/Bank. Def. worth checking out!!

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home