Thursday, July 28, 2005

Gluten-free flour mixes

I haven't tried them all, but so far I haven't been a great fan of pre-made GF flour mixes. I mix my own from this recipe, based on one found in Bette Hagman's "The gluten-free gourmet cooks fast and healty" (sounds like an endorsement, but the three-line recipe on page 33 is the only thing I use in this book)

- 6 cups rice flour (white, brown or mixed)
- 2 cups potato starch flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch flour
- 9 teaspoons of guar gum (i. e. 1 tsp per cup of flowery stuff)

I use the Glutino flours (see Bread section). I forgot where I got the guar gum, but it can be found gluten-free too.

With this flour mix I'll do anything from pancakes to bread. I'll give you my bread recipe later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shauna said...

Hey there:

I've found that the Gluten-Free Pantry French Bread and Pizza Mix makes an excellent flour for anything. The woman who runs Glutenfreeda taught me that, and I'm excited to say that she's right.

I like your site. I'm keeping a blog on being gluten-free in Seattle. Come on over, if you want: http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com

Take care!

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home